For Scheduling and Free Estimates

BLOG

Keep Your Family Safe From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide is a major problem in Northeast Texas during the winter months. To protect your family from the dangers of CO poisoning, here are some tips that you should take note.

What Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless and colorless gas which is normally produced by home appliances and equipment that burn natural gas which includes your heating systems. CO should be properly vented out of your home; however, circumstances like poor system maintenance can cause this gas to reach indoor and bring great danger to your health.

The hemoglobin that flows through your bloodstream collects oxygen and delivers it to the different parts of the body. Carbon monoxide can also bind with it and even faster than oxygen which is why, the hemoglobin gets filled with CO rather than oxygen. Because of this, your body has insufficient supply of oxygen which makes you ill or worst, causes death. This is called carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tips In Preventing CO Leaks In Your Home

  • Do not skip annual maintenance check-ups on your heating systems as well the vents and chimneys. Debris can accumulate in the chimney and cause CO build up. Hire a professional technician to ensure that the job is done completely and properly.
  • Check the vents if there are blockages that can hinder the proper flow of carbon monoxide out of your house.
  • Make sure that fuel-burning heaters, gas stoves and other appliances are properly vented.
  • Do not use oven and gas rages to heat your home.
  • Open the damper in the fireplace before you start a fire until the ashes are cool. This can prevent poisonous gas build up inside your home.
  • Outdoor appliances should be used outdoors. If you are using generators, BBQ grills, and lanterns, place them no way near or inside your home or garages. Use them outside, at least 20 feet away from your windows and doors.
  • Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector installed at least one in each level of your home. Check the alarms and the components once a month. Replace batteries if needed. CO detectors sound the alarms when CO levels inside are reaching dangerous levels.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of homeowners’ nightmares during the winter season. The good news is, CO poisoning can be avoided with regular maintenance service schedules with only qualified and trained professionals like the experts at All Around A/C, Heating and Refrigeration.

Powered by: Cornerstone Marketing Solutions